"Ask Me Anything" about Safe Sleep Environments with Dr. Natalie Barnet

Comments

• When should baby start sleeping in her own room? How do we know it’s safe for her to be alone?

• Self soothing tips?. I have nursed my son to sleep since birth and my son is now 6 months and seems to have no way to self soothe back to sleep. He wakes frequently throughout the night crying to be pacified.

• our 5 month old boy is sleeping in his own room since he was 3,5 months. Lately he started to roll over in his crib. From his back to his belly and I am so worried. Should I let him do that and just watch him ? It is ok for him to roll over at 5 months?

• My almost 4 month old son has been rolling over from back to belly for 2 weeks now during play. He sleeps in a snoo at night so I don’t have to worry about him doing it in his sleep typically, but we are going on vacation next week. He will not sleep without being swaddled and I’ve tried to swaddle him with arms out and have him nap in the travel bassinet to get ready for vacation, but he wakes up immediately because he starts thrashing his arms around. When completely swaddled arms in, he falls right asleep. Can we safely swaddle him fully while on vacation so he will sleep in the travel bassinet?

• Whimsicho
    Whimsicho Member
    edited September 2021

My baby is almost 5 months old and takes 4 naps. When should I transition her to 3 naps and how do I do it? Her last nap is from 6-6:30pm because she wakes up at 4:30pm to feed and her bedtime is 8pm. She does take longer naps now that she sleeps on her tummy. We usually have to wake her from her naps. She feeds every 3 hours.

• Our 11 month old bangs her head against the crib sometimes multiple times a night. I’ve seen bruises and bumps on her forehead as a result. I’ve read that bumpers are not safe; what do you recommend to help protect her?

Also wondering if it would be safe to leave breastmilk or water in a bottle in her crib for naps?

Thanks!

• When is it safe, if ever to cosleep?

• What are your thoughts on sleep sacks for babies. Are they a SIDS hazard. I was looking at getting one for my daughter but wasn’t sure.

• My baby girl is 6 months old and I am wondering when is it okay to start using a pillow and and a blanket.

• My 6 month old has just started rolling from back to tummy all the time now and gets stuck there several times in the middle of the night. Only does this while in a sleep sack. Prior to the sleep sack we used the baby Merlin magic sleep suit which was amazing but also restricted his movement a bit. I have put him back in the Merlin suit at night now for the sake of us getting some more sleep and I’m trying to get in lots of tummy and rolling time during the day. Any tips on what to do since he hasn’t figured out how roll back over yet at night?

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.