"Ask Me Anything" about breastfeeding with RN and Lactation Consultant Erica Campbell

Comments

• themilkmanual
    themilkmanual Member, Expert

@Mari Because of the long feeding duration and the pain associated with feedings, I'd highly recommend a feeding assessment and oral assessment by an IBCLC! I can't give directly personal advice without an assessment or consultation but you could also take a nursing break and focus on just pumping and supplementing until you're able to get a direct assessment!

• themilkmanual

@P27 This instagram video is a great visual of a good way to get a deep latch! The "flipple technique" is super helpful!

You don't need to do both sides unless baby pulls off and wants to do it but if baby is content on one side, that's fine!

As far as pain, I would start with examining and readjusting the latch and positioning. You really want to make sure baby's mouth is positioned on the areola and not just the nipple. Silverette nursing cups can help for the tenderness.

• themilkmanual

The most important part of nutrition when nursing is to eat and drink according to your hunger and thirst levels. Foods may help support your milk supply but milk removal is the biggest catalyst for increasing it.

This post covers some foods that allegedly help support lactation.

This post covers common herbs that allegedly decrease milk supply (when taken in large quantities).

• themilkmanual

Unfortunately I don't as much expertise in this particular arena but I do know of a lot of colleagues that do.

These two accounts are great for navigating breastfeeding and allergies: free.to.feed and the.lactation.dietitian.

• Lily
    Lily Member

Hi, my 4 week old baby girl is breastfeeding well. She is clusterfeeding around late morning/lunch time and again early evening. We found giving her a bottle before bedtime at 10pm and finishing off with her latching on to my breast in bed gives us a 5-6 hour stretch of sleep. We’ve been making sure she has at least 8 feeds a day, however I wondered if during a cluster feed of 2-3 hours if it’s safe to drop one or two of the 8 feeds given she’s feeding so much in the day?

Shes having anything from 7-12 wet and dirty nappies a day too and has been putting on 1oz a day.

• Hi Erica

my baby is 5 weeks old. He continues to breastfeed every hour. He will feed for 15-20 minutes then pulls off and seems satisfied for about 30 minutes. He then starts acting like he is hungry again. I try and play with him and make him wait at least an hr between feeds. This has made naps difficult because he will only nap for an hr.so I have 3 questions: 1. When should I pump if he is eating so often? 2. Is he eating that often because he isn’t getting enough milk or because it’s a habit? 3. Is it ok that he eats every hour and when will he start spreading his feeds out? He is gaining weight and has 8-10 wet diapers in a 24 hr period. This eating every hour is exhausting!

• Hi, I have an 11 week old, been breastfeeding exclusively; now trying to introduce the bottle (using expressed milk). Baby took the bottle for the first week of trying, since then will not take the bottle. I have used mam and nuk bottles so far neither working.

Any on advice on how to successfully introduce the bottle would greatly appreciated. Thank you

• themilkmanual

@MDC4632 You can DEFINITELY lose weight during breastfeeding. I would not recommend any crash diets. Eating an appropriate caloric deficit with nutrient rich foods will be just fine (though I am not a dietitian or weight loss expert). It is definitely possible. When it comes to eating, just make sure to eat to hunger. If you feel like you need more food, eat more food. But if you feel fine with what you're consuming, theres no need to overeat or add those extra 500 calories unless you feel hunger. It is definitely possible to lose weight though! These three accounts have great options for postpartum fitness and nutrition: juna.moms, nourishing.balance.women.kids, and alison.tjong,movement

• themilkmanual

@CeeLow

Hi there! I have a few bottle recommendations and will attach some affiliate links below:

I've seen the most success with those three!

General bottle refusal suggestions include:

• starting off small, allowing baby to just suck on the bottle n*pple if possible.
    • offering bottle when baby is more relaxed
    • having a family member offer the bottle.

• I’ve been at it for about 2 weeks and I’m experiencing (legit) 9/10 terrible pain with breast feeding. My little guy is pretty aggressive and I have always had pretty sensitive ****. How do I differentiate if it’s a latch/possible tongue tie or if it’s a ‘me’ issue (sensitive ****)? And any possible advice?

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.