"Ask Me Anything" about breastfeeding with RN and Lactation Consultant Erica Campbell

Comments

• Appy
    Appy Member

My baby is 3 months old and I’ve been exclusively breastfeeding. However I recently went back to work and my supply seems to be diminishing. I empty my **** at least every 3-4 hours when I get time (feeding at home and pumping at work). How can I keep increase my supply? Thanks in advance!

• Hi! I just pumped and my R breast gave out this much milk and left only the amount you see in picture. This isn’t too surprising as my left breast has always produced less than the R but the difference has never been this much. Additionally, the colors are different with the R being more concentrated looking and it also had clumps instead of liquid like usual (and like left). I’m sure this is a variation of normal breast milk but just wondering what the mechanism is and wanting reassurance that these differences are indeed normal. Thank you!

• themilkmanual
    themilkmanual Member, Expert

@Opak712

over active letdown can cause this spraying effect, definitely making feedings more difficult.

my biggest piece of advice here is to either:

• hand express prior to latching and have your letdown happen before baby is latched.
    • hand express or pump for a couple of minutes before.
    • latch baby and unlatch while spraying is happening
    • feeding in an reclined or laid back position to start, allowing gravity to assist with the spraying.

because of the reflux like symptoms, i’d definitely recommend getting a feeding and oral assessment by an IBCLC or someone that specializes in tethered oral tissues.

• themilkmanual

I wanted to leave this disclaimer prior to answering questions!

Although I am a board certified lactation consultant, I am not working directly with you and your baby. With that being said, I can only answer your questions in a general way and can not go against the recommendations of your personal lactation consultant or health care team. If you are interested in a one-on-one client specific relationship, feel free to reach out for an in-person or virtual consult. :)

• themilkmanual

@KlaudiaAnn13 If you're nursing for bonding, I would try to do it in the calmer moments... maybe during dream feeds. But I also want to remind you that you can experience similar bonding without nursing through other activities- including bottle feeding!

If you're trying to encouraging milk more flow during feedings, breast compressions can be really helpful! Especially in the beginning of the feeding session.

• themilkmanual

hi @_matchadoin_21

If your baby is gaining appropriate weight, meeting most developmental milestones, and giving the appropriate amount of wet and dirty diapers, then you don't necessarily need to keep track with the app unless you want to!

Feeding times will definitely vary and breast output is rarely equal on either side. It sounds like your baby has established their own norm!

• themilkmanual

Hey there! Without directly seeing the area affected, it's hard to say.

I would also have someone assess baby's mouth for any tethered oral tissues. They can also cause pain.

Also checking flange sizing and pump suction to determine if those could be causes for pain.

• themilkmanual

hey there @VDC

often times when I see this particular problem, it's related to a lot of tension in the body. I usually recommend bodywork for families to look into if that's the case.

It may also help to try more paced bottle feeding whenever bottle feeding and then trying to use breast compressions while nursing to encourage more milk flow.

• themilkmanual

@SWD

In this case, I'd recommend hands on pumping! While wearing your pumping bra, incorporate breast massage and compressions in order to get max flow. I would also get your flanges to make sure they're the appropriate size.

• themilkmanual

@SWD Either option works! Just make sure that when you're freezing, you freeze in the amount that baby eats or would eat. 3-4 ounces per freezer bag is a great place to start!

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.