"Ask Me Anything" about breastfeeding with RN and Lactation Consultant Erica Campbell

Comments

• themilkmanual
    themilkmanual Member, Expert

gas can related to a variety of things.

some natural remedies would include paced feedings and gentle baby massage or body movements such as bicycling baby’s legs or frog legs.

• themilkmanual

@BLD hi! according to the CDC, it has 24 hours from the moment it has been completely thawed.

if possible, going further, only freeze in increments that baby will be feeding.

though 200 ml = approximately 6 ounces. which can be split into two 3 ounce bottles if needed.

• Hi! I am a first time mom and have been nursing my almost two month old daughter every 3 hours during the day. She has been gaining weight and has normal diapers. Curious when I should extend this to every 4 hours max or when I should try to create more of a time schedule for feedings?

Thanks!

• themilkmanual

@Maha222

hey there! sounds like you got yourself in what we call the “top up trap”. i personally understand how exhausting breastfeeding can be and the need for night feedings to be taken over by someone else for a little break. while i do think an occasional break is essential or even vital to help you function, if you continuously take a break, it does have an impact on your milk supply. the less breast milk removed from your body, the less your body produces.

also 2 ounces is a great starting amount for newborns but it sounds like has already surpassed that in her needs.

her constant feeding during the day is also telling your body to produce more milk. the biggest things you can do at this point is encourage more milk removal whether it’s by the pump or with baby nursing directly. and making sure not to over feed with the formula.

definitely reach out to an IBCLC if you can for a weighted feed which can help determine if baby is having a good milk transfer while at the breast.

• themilkmanual

@Pattee

its always hard to give direct latch advice without seeing the actual problem.

so without an assessment, here are my general tips:

• take a nursing vacation (just spend a day doing nothing but focusing on nursing)
    • do more skin to skin
    • do some baby wearing
    • co-bathe
    • incorporate breast compressions in the first couple of minutes of feedings.

then just remain consistent. observe your baby’s body language when trying to latch… it could be positional, it could be slower flow (milk regulation), it could be a number of things!

• Hi Erica,

My son decided to come early at 32 weeks! We spent 28 days in the NICU and I found myself very stressed and left with a low milk supply. We have transitioned home and He currently only will latch with a breast shield and is angry he is not getting enough from me. He is 37weeks and 1 day corrected today. I have tried every supplement, power pumping, applied heat and vibration, and direct breastfeeding as much as I can and am at a loss. I am only producing 15-20mls at most per pumping session. Do you have any other recommendations?

• themilkmanual

@Callie hi! triple feeding is a beast and it’s always hard to give any advice on this because it’s VERY client specific.

triple feeding is definitely not sustainable so i would reach out to an IBCLC for an oral assessment and weighted feeding to determine how much baby is transferring. this can help you figure out if you’re able to stop triple feeding!

as far as moving to exclusively pumping, you could always try that at any time. you could try pumping instead of direct nursing to assess your approximate output and also continue to offer formula but it’s up to you!

• itsanthonywong
    edited August 2021

• My 4 week son is nursing for 30-40 minutes (total for both sides) and he is still hungry afterwards so I have been supplementing with pumped breast milk. I would prefer to simply nurse to avoid pumping and washing the bottles and everything! I pump right after I nurse. Question 1: is 30-40 min too long? What is an appropriate amount of time? Question 2: Am I creating a cycle with the pumping that reduces the breast milk he gets 2 hours later and then creates the need for expressed break milk as a supplement? Any suggestions?

• My almost 3 month old nurses about 45 mins at a time. Is this normal to nurse this long? Also, the pediatrician is concerned because he isn’t following the growth curve chart. He was 72nd percentile at his first appointment and now is 49th percentile weight. When he takes a bottle, he feeds about 4-6 oz. should I try to give him more? I’ve read concerns about stretching out his stomach. I primarily nurse and my supply seems great.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.