"Ask Me Anything" about breastfeeding with RN and Lactation Consultant Erica Campbell

Comments

• VDC
    VDC Member

Hello,

My daughter is 9 weeks old and in the past 2 weeks we have had some trouble nursing. She will latch very well and feeds very well for the first 7 minutes. Then she begins to get very fussy so I usually try to burp her and offer the other side. She will then latch and nurse for another few minutes but then becomes very frustrated. At this point she will latch and pull away immediately and repeats this a few times before going into full tears.

We occasionally feed her with my pumped breastmilk in a bottle and we never seem to have trouble feeding her that way. I am beginning to think she only wants bottle :(

• At two months the pediatrician diagnosed our baby with a cows milk and soy intolerance. Tips for navigating while maintaining breastfeeding?

• I am wondering: is it actually possible for me to lose the 30 lbs of "baby weight" I gained during pregnancy despite breastfeeding? I know I'm burning an extra 500 calories a day, but I also know that I have to eat calories and healthy foods in order to keep up a milk supply. My OB told me that it is a minority of breastfeeding mothers who actually lose all their baby weight. I want to be the majority!! Please HELP!!

• themilkmanual
    themilkmanual Member, Expert

@mkd929

hi! first off, congrats!

it definitely can be a lot of learn in the beginning! you’re already doing great by reaching out and asking for help.

this blog post has tons of information to answer those questions that you’re asking. specifically about how to prepare and what to buy!

i also have a lactation related course that details what to expect in those early days! you can get 25 percent off of it (super affordable!) with this link.

as far as your milk “coming in”, your body will be producing milk during your pregnancy! it will be readily available colostrum when baby is born. colostrum transitions into mature milk in the early days.

• themilkmanual

@Jamison

it sounds like your body is doing exactly what it should be! you’re giving it 100 percent right now and not enough people hear that this is normal. i totally understand that you’re heading back to work this week but truly you only need a stash for the first day at this point.

in order to prepare, i’d recommend to continue your current pumping schedule in efforts to save milk. i also want to offer a realistic point of view and state that the amount you’re getting is super common (just less visible on social media in comparison to those huge freezer stash pics).

as for the side that is producing less, you can try pumping on that side longer or feeding in that side more frequently. but it also extremely common to have one side produce more than the other.

• SWD
    SWD Member

What's the most effective breast pumping way? Should the cycles be at a higher level and how much time should be done for breast pumping?

• Hi! After nursing in the hospital, the nurses pushed me to give my baby formula. I had problems with pumping (LC gave me too small of flanges and my **** were blistering and bleeding), feedings became very painful to the point I would cry and I eventually gave up all together. Since being strictly bottle fed with a combo of breast milk and formula, I’ve now got my baby back exclusively breastfeeding on the breast & bottle when needed.

How can I work on getting a deeper latch since we were failed from the beginning. He’s now 8 weeks and very active. Hates his head being touched and will thrash around, sometimes a shallow latch is all that works..

• themilkmanual

@AmyWalker127

hi amy!

it really sounds like y’all have been through A LOT with feedings and that you’re working super hard so i want to applaud you!

if you can find an IBCLC that specializes in tethered oral tissues that may helpful. it also may be recommended to work with pediatric/infant physical therapy or a pediatric/infant chiropractor (bodywork).

crying, screaming, arching and pulling away at the breast can be associate with deeper things!

it also may be helpful to transition back to breast using a nipple shield (under observation of an IBCLC).

• hi erica!

i had some problems with feeding the first couple of days and I started giving my newborn formula at night and I breast feed in the day time, however my milk is not enough for my baby when ever she takes a full feed of breast milk she just sleeps 30 mins to max an hour and is she takes formula she gets a stretch of 3-4 hours. I tried all lactation foods and still not enough supply. When I pump it’s a max of 60 ml that’s if I didn’t breast feed for 3 hours or more. What should I do to increase it.

• Gsmk
    Gsmk Member

Hi!

my baby had a good latch and would breastfeed great! She’s 9 and a half weeks and in the last couple of weeks she’s been un latching and throwing her head back and then coming back for more. She’s introducing a lot of air when she does this and it frustrates me because she’s already very gassy and sometimes it gets to the point where she’s so uncomfortable from all the air shes introduced that she starts crying and I have to burp her and then latch on again. Any idea why this is happening? Is it a phase? Or is there anything I can do to help her?

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.