"Ask Me Anything" about breastfeeding with RN and Lactation Consultant Erica Campbell

NanitMelanie
NanitMelanie Nanit Team
edited February 18 in Nursing & Feeding

Join Erica for Tips & tricks for nursing mamas & mamas-to-be on Friday, August 27th through Monday, Aug 30 at 11:59 pm. Ask Erica Anything about Breastfeeding!

Erica is a former Registered Nurse and current Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), she’s also a mama of two! From her professional and personal experience, she had a revelation about education for breastfeeding mothers.

While working on the floor as a Mother/Baby RN, she noticed mothers struggling with the first few days of breastfeeding. They didn’t know what to expect or how to overcome those beginner obstacles. The raw emotions from childbirth combined with the feelings of guilt were enough for her to see that something must be done to help these women achieve their goals.

The Milk Manual is a resource for all parents enduring their breastfeeding journey. Whether this is your very first experience or you’re in the final days of breastfeeding, it’s Erica’s goal to help make your journey as smooth and beautiful as possible.

Erica says no matter what your goal may be, The Milk Manual is a judgment-free zone that is here to educate and support you along the way! We are thrilled to have Erica on the Nanit Community answering your breastfeeding questions!

** Bookmark this thread and receive a notification when the AMA begins.**

Click the bookmark icon on the right-hand side of the discussion.

Erica will do her best to answer all questions.

Tagged:

Comments

• Our AMA with @themilkmanual is now live! Ask your questions today through Monday, August 30th!

• As a soon-to-be first time mom, what are the most important things to know about breastfeeding (what supplies should I have handy, how can I be best prepared for the journey)? I know everyone is so different, but when can I expect my milk to fully come in? Anything I can do to help with milk supply in the interim? And before my milk comes in - should I still be breastfeeding even if the baby is not getting much?

Thanks!

• Hi Erica!

My daughter had a good latch when we were in the hospital but now will only take bottles and refuses to latch (long story - the nurse wanted to give her formula, my milk came in when she wasn’t hungry, engorgement, pumping, bottle). I’m exclusively pumping which is working well but I would really like to get her to nurse again. We’ve seen a lactation consultant a couple of times and my daughter just screams and cries whenever we try to get her to latch. We try to do skin to skin as often as possible during the day and I’m working on making the breast a happy place again. At our last appointment we were both very frustrated and the consultant suggested we take a week off and try again. She will hang out and sleep on my chest and sometimes will get into the laid back position and lick the nipple but never sucks. She’s 8 weeks now and I’m worried we don’t have anything else to try. Help!

• Hi, my daughter didn’t latch at the hospital so they fit me for a nipple shield, she is now 2 months old and still only latches with a nipple shield, I try to take it off and sometimes she does latch but not for long, any downside on using a nipple shield with her for the entire time I will breastfeed her ?

• How do you prevent gas’s pains? Baby isn’t the best burper but is constantly hungry. It’s difficult to get burps in.

• Question from @BLD

How long can I keep breast milk in the fridge after it is thawed ?

I froze my milk in 200mL alliquots and my baby isn’t needing that amount in 24 hours - is it okay to use it past the 24 ‘limit’ I am seeing on Dr Google?

• Hello, my baby is 11 weeks old and she used to latch so well, the past couple of weeks, it’s almost as if she forgot to how to latch on well. Do you have any tips on how I can get her to latch well again? Thanks

• Hello!

when nursing my son often pulls away and cries but also seems to be trying to latch again. He seems so upset and uncomfortable I’m not sure if it’s a sign of reflux? I also have a over supply so I’m not sure if my flow is too fast for him. It makes nighttime feedings very difficult when trying not to wake up my toddler. Please help!

• We recently switched to a level 1 bottle nipple and my 6 week old is no longer latching for nursing. Just screams and is fussy. My supply is only 50-75% of what he needs. Any advice to continue the bonding thru nursing - have dropped down to only 1x per day in the am before the nipple switch as I’m back to work.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.