Camera turned off but lights red

I always turn the camera off when I'm in the room with baby but this morning I was up for an early feed and saw that the lights on it were red. I thought it strange so I double checked to make sure that the camera was off and sure enough, it was. I'm a bit freaked out that I may have been hacked. Has anyone else experienced this??

Comments

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@Kizzy I've gone ahead and escalated this to our support team so they can take a closer look with you. They should be in touch soon!

• chines
    chines Member

What ever came of this? I have seen multiple posts about it and they get escalated but no follow up about it. I had the same thing happen this evening.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@chines  Our developers were able to identify the issue and are working on a fix. I can assure you when this happens, the camera is still off and isn't recording. The fix will require a firmware update to the camera - I do not have a date yet for when the fix will be released but will be sure to share an update when I have one!

• Is firmware being updated due to hack issues? I have the same issue and had someone speck through the mic. Now I'm worried and no longer using the nanit.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@nanotechnology Our team has identified an issue where the camera is rebooting itself. When the camera is turn off and the camera reboots due to this problem, the IR lights turn on. I know it can be extremely worrisome when this happens, but I can assure you that the camera is off.

If you are concerned about a possible camera breach, our team can take a closer look. We do have certain measures in place to keep the camera as safe as possible:

• Two-factor authentication
    • 256-bit data encryption
    • Video and data feeds to stay on Nanit servers
    • No use of third parties for the app and camera servers

• Same thing happened to me tonight. Totally freaked out. There was not a straight answer. Was this hacking?

• I was told it happens when the camera is rebooting which they are working to fix in their next update. I guess it can also happen when the camera is trying to adjust to the room lighting.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

Hi @Ahuntzicker Our team has identified an issue where the camera is rebooting itself. When the camera is turned off and the camera reboots due to this problem, the IR lights turn on. I know it can be extremely worrisome when this happens, but I can assure you that the camera is still off and this is not hacking.