“Ask Me Anything” About Maternal Mental Health with Dr. Alice Pickering

NanitMackenzie
NanitMackenzie Community Moderator, Nanit Team
edited June 8 in Me Time

Ask maternal mental health expert & licensed clinical psychologist Dr. Alice Pickering Anything!

It’s Mental Health Awareness month, and we are excited to welcome Dr. Alice Pickering back to the Nanit Community!

About Dr. Pickering:

Dr. Alice Pickering is a licensed clinical psychologist who believes that prioritizing your mental health should be a non-negotiable. She has worked with a wide array of mental health concerns from her varied clinical experiences, and she has also taught multiple undergraduate college courses. She combines her teaching, clinical, and training experiences to offer educational resources and practical tools online in order to help women and mothers during pivotal life transitions. 

Dr. Pickering owns a private practice where she specializes in treating issues related to depression, anxiety, trauma, and relationships. She has a passion for serving women and mothers through various life stages and specializes in perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs). Through her personal experience of motherhood, Dr. Pickering became aware of the challenges that accompany such a journey long before it even starts. She also became aware of the limited focus on maternal mental health before, during, and after pregnancy. She seeks to foster a community of happy and healthy mothers who can make a difference in their homes and ultimately, the world. Visit her website or her Instagram for more information. 

How does an Ask Me Anything work?

• Post your question on this thread between May 23-May 26 for Dr. Alice to answer. She will answer questions directly on the thread and you can come back to see the responses.
  • Anonymous questions: Do you have a question you’d prefer to ask anonymously? You can DM @NanitMackenzie or @NanitJessica and we will post on your behalf!

Ready to ask a question?

We will open the discussion thread for questions on May 23rd. We encourage you to "bookmark" this thread so you are notified when it opens and it's time to post your question.

While you're waiting, check out the recap of our recent Mental Health Webinar - Dr. Alice was a panelist!

Tagged:

Comments

• NanitMackenzie

This Ask Me Anything is now open! Please comment below with your questions for Dr. Alice.

• What do you suggest for days you feel like you are just not cut out to be a mom? I often feel/felt with my newborn that I had no clue what I was doing which would lead to a bit of an emotional spiral

• romato
    romato Member

Hi Dr. Alice. I was diagnosed with PMDD and had it under control pre-pregnancy. It abated during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I am now no longer breastfeeding, and I fear my PMDD has returned with a vengeance. Is there any new science on best ways to manage this condition? It’s challenging with a one-year old! Thanks.

• I was so happy to see this conversation. I am a first time mom to my baby boy who is now 1 year old. I also just started to go back to work and I find my anxiety to be amplified and triggering acid reflux it seems to be in stressful situations. My nurse practitioner has prescribed a reflux medication. I also find that regardless of the activity we are doing or even if we aren’t doing anything, my mind wonders to the worst possible situation (usually what could happen to cause baby bodily harm or death), and I get emotional, and the heart burn triggers. My question is, is there any helpful hints to help with these thoughts? Are they normal? Is this maternal instinct?

• lhg
    lhg Member

I too am a first time mom to a now 14 month old. We had a very traumatic birth and our baby had to be flown out to a larger hospital and spend a week in the NICU. Baby is doing great now, but I am constantly worried and catastrophising everything. I seem to not be able to sway from our routines at all. I want to be home so baby can nap and stick to the routines as much as I can. My husband thinks I’m too rigid and that we need to be able to live our lives. I just seem to panic about everything. Is this normal? What can be done to help? I’m actually starting to wonder if I would be capable of having a second baby because all I do is worry and I’m not sure I can worry this much about 2 humans.

• NanitMackenzie

Question from an anonymous member:

I live in a big family. I find myself only getting time to bond with my baby during changes, feeds and skin to skin time. I feel that everyone gets to play with her (while I bathe or eat etc) while I only get to attend to her needs.

• NanitMackenzie

Question from an anonymous member:

How to manage feelings of guilt that I could be neglecting my partner during early postpartum?

• Hi I am a mother to a 13 month old baby girl. I use to have rage issues when my baby was born that I never experienced before. I still have them a little bit but they have definitely gotten better. Is this PPD? I never saw a doctor and just assumed it was my hormones. A year later I thought the rage would be gone by now. I do know how to control it and I would never harm my baby. When I have them I go into the closet and scream and sometimes throw things and rip my clothes off the hangers. What do you suggest? I did have a horrible labor that lasted over 24 hours. Oh yeah I am still breastfeeding as well.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.